PUBLISHING DESIGN - TASK 2: CONTENT GENERATION



22/4/2026 - 20/5/2026(Week1-Week4)
ZHANG QIYU/0384019
Publishing Design/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media/Taylor’s University
Task 2: Content Generation

LECTURES

All lecture notes are in TASK 1

INSTRUCTIONS


Text Formatting

For our book, we were tasked to write or source 3000 words of material. Below is the draft for my content. 


Visual Making Process

The visual development began by planning the composition of each illustration. I first determined the overall arrangement and the main visual elements for every scene to ensure that all sixteen illustrations followed the same storytelling direction.

Fig.1.1 Draft

The illustrations were created in Adobe Illustrator using the Pen Tool to build clean vector shapes. Every object was drawn manually through paths, allowing precise control over the characters, objects, and composition. Multiple layers were used to organise individual elements, making it easier to edit and refine the artwork throughout the design process.



Fig.1.2-1.5 Process

After completing the line work, colours were applied to each illustration. A consistent colour palette was used throughout the project, with most backgrounds sharing the same dark blue tone to create visual unity across all sixteen visuals. Soft pastel colours were then added to the characters and supporting elements to create contrast and maintain a cohesive atmosphere.
Fig.1.6 Background

After completing the illustrations in Adobe Illustrator, I exported each visual and imported them into Xingtu for post-processing. Texture overlays were applied to enhance the visual quality and create a softer, more artistic appearance. This process added depth to the illustrations while maintaining a consistent visual style across all sixteen visuals.

Fig.1.7 XingTu

Finally, all sixteen visuals were reviewed together to ensure consistency in colour, texture, composition, and overall visual language before being placed into the publication layout.
Fig.1.8 Final Layout


Completed 16 Visuals
















Fig.1.9-1.24 16 Visuals
Fig 1.18 Thumbnail of 16 Visuals 

                                         Fig 1.19 Thumbnail of All Visuals, PDF

                                        Fig 1.19 Thumbnail of All Visuals, PDF







FEEDBACK


Week 4
  • General Feedback: This week focused on exploring grids and typography for the publication. I refined my type specimen sheet and continued developing visuals, which helped strengthen the overall design direction.
  • Specific Feedback: I tested different grid structures, margins, typefaces, font sizes, and spacing to improve readability and hierarchy. I also collected layout references to study how professional publications organise information effectively.

Week 5
  • General Feedback: This week focused on completing the visual stage and beginning the book layout. I finished all visuals, organised them into thumbnails, and started designing the first chapter using the chosen grid and typography system.
  • Specific Feedback: I completed all 16 visuals and arranged them into a single-page PDF thumbnail for review. I also designed the first page through to the end of the first chapter, which helped me understand how visuals, text, and layout work together in the publication.


REFLECTION


Experience

During Weeks 4 and 5, I focused on building the visual and structural foundation of my publication. I explored different grid systems and margin options, developed a type specimen sheet, completed all visual assets, and organised them into thumbnail presentations. I also began applying the selected design system to the first chapter layout, allowing the project to progress from visual development to publication design.

Observation

Throughout these two weeks, I observed that grids and typography play a crucial role in creating structure and consistency within a publication. By analysing layout references and testing different design options, I noticed how margins, spacing, and type hierarchy affect readability and visual balance. I also found that presenting all visuals together as thumbnails made it easier to evaluate consistency, pacing, and overall visual direction.

Findings

From this stage of the project, I learned that a strong publication design relies on a well-planned system rather than individual visual elements alone. Establishing grids, typography rules, and visual consistency before designing the full book makes the layout process more efficient and cohesive. Completing the visual development phase also gave me greater confidence in moving forward with the remaining chapters and refining the overall publication design.



评论

热门博文