PUBLISHING DESIGN - TASK 3: BOOK & VIDEO PUBLISHING
Content Included
As mentioned in previous tasks, the below two PDFs showcase the content+visuals I had generated for this task.
Format + Grid System
When doing my Exercise 02 in Task 01, I established that I wanted to make use of the size 250mmx180mm.
After gathering inspiration from various editorial designs, I began experimenting with my own layout by applying the Van de Graaf canon as the page margin system for Task 1. I wanted to explore how this classical layout method could improve page balance, readability, and the overall visual hierarchy.
Using the Van de Graaf layout allowed me to establish consistent margins and a structured composition, providing a strong foundation for the publication before further refining the layout in later versions.
After presenting the layouts from the first page through the end of Chapter 1 to Mr. Vinod, I received his approval for the overall design and layout. With the layout approved, I was able to proceed with designing the remaining chapters while maintaining the same grid system, typography, and visual style to ensure consistency throughout the publication.
After completing all the chapters, I created a set of thumbnail layouts to review the publication as a whole. Viewing all the pages together allowed me to check the consistency of the layout, typography, colour palette, image placement, and overall visual flow across the book.
I then presented the thumbnails to Mr. Vinod for review. After receiving his approval, I proceeded with the final printing of the publication.
This is the final version. I've adjusted the size of the cover text, the size and position of the barcode on the back cover, as well as made some minor changes to pages and text.
The cover was designed as a continuous wrap-around composition, allowing the front cover, spine, and back cover to connect seamlessly into a single illustration. Rather than treating the front and back covers as separate layouts, the artwork extends across the entire surface to create a unified visual narrative.
The front cover features the main character reaching towards a glowing paper airplane, symbolising hope, self-discovery, and the courage to follow one's own direction. The scattered translucent candy wrappers continue across both sides of the cover, visually representing memories, experiences, and the uncertain paths encountered throughout personal growth. The dark background contrasts with the soft colours of the illustration, drawing attention to the character while reinforcing the emotional atmosphere of the story.
Next, page-flipping effects were added to create the feeling of browsing through a real publication. The duration of each page was carefully adjusted to maintain a comfortable reading pace while keeping the video engaging.
After the page transitions were completed, the video was synchronized with the background music using beat-cut editing. The timing of each scene was adjusted to match the rhythm of the music, creating a more dynamic viewing experience.
To enhance the overall presentation, animated text was added for the title and ending credits. Various transition effects, including fade, zoom and flash transitions, were also applied to create smooth scene changes.
Finally, an old film (vintage) effect was applied throughout the video. Film grain, dust particles, scratches and light leak overlays were added to create a nostalgic atmosphere that matches the visual style of the publication. The brightness, colour and overall pacing were further refined before exporting the final promotional video.
- General Feedback: I completed the first chapter layout and continued refining the overall publication design based on the approved grid system.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod reminded me to maintain consistency throughout the publication. Since my main headings were designed horizontally, he advised against making one heading vertical, as it would interrupt the overall visual style.
- General Feedback: I continued improving the layouts and prepared the black-and-white mock-up before moving on to the remaining pages.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod suggested aligning the height of the images with the text blocks wherever possible. This creates a cleaner composition and improves the visual balance of each spread.
- General Feedback: I completed the remaining layouts and refined the overall design based on the lecturer's feedback.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod suggested leaving more white space around the text and images. He explained that sufficient breathing room would improve readability and make the layouts appear cleaner and more professional.
- General Feedback: I finalised the layouts, prepared the files for printing, and updated my e-portfolio.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod advised me to review the spacing between text and visual elements carefully. He suggested increasing the white space in crowded areas to create a better visual hierarchy and a more balanced publication design.
- General Feedback: I completed the publication layouts and started developing the motion graphics for my publication.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod suggested keeping the animation simple and consistent with the publication design. The motion should support the content instead of becoming the main focus.
- General Feedback: I continued refining the motion graphics and prepared the final presentation materials for the project.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod reminded me to improve the timing between animations and make the transitions smoother so the motion would feel more natural.
- General Feedback: I completed the final publication, motion graphics, and updated all the required documentation in my e-portfolio.
- Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod advised me to review the entire project carefully before submission, ensuring that all files, layouts, and documentation were complete and well organised.
Throughout this project, I experienced the complete workflow of publication design, from planning the content and creating illustrations to developing layouts, producing motion graphics, and preparing the final printed publication. I created all sixteen visuals using Adobe Illustrator and animated the publication in Adobe After Effects to enhance the storytelling experience. Throughout the semester, I continuously refined my work based on the lecturer's feedback, improving both the publication and the motion graphics. Completing the project allowed me to understand the relationship between static and motion design, making the overall learning experience more meaningful and rewarding.
Observation
Throughout the design process, I realised that successful publication design depends on consistency, attention to detail, and continuous refinement. Elements such as typography, image placement, alignment, grids, white space, and animation timing all contribute to the overall reading and viewing experience. I also learned that motion graphics should complement the publication rather than distract from it. The lecturer's feedback helped me recognise that even small adjustments could significantly improve both the visual quality and professionalism of the final outcome.
Findings
This project strengthened my skills in publication design, typography, layout design, digital illustration, and motion graphics. I learned how to organise a complete design workflow, from concept development and visual creation to animation and final presentation. More importantly, I developed the habit of reviewing my work critically, accepting feedback, and refining every detail through multiple revisions. These experiences have increased my confidence and provided valuable knowledge that I can apply to future editorial, branding, and motion design projects.




























评论
发表评论